Monsoon musings 2018

People will go to Oslo after they have finished the more popular destinations of Europe namely Paris, Switzerland, Italy etc. Paris almost sounds like a country rather than a capital. Apart from being the most visited place on the planet. I wonder why as most monuments were burnt and rebuilt. The pressure of Paris and Switzerland is unbearable if you have not visited them. Come summer and Mumbai seems to head to the cooler climes of Europe. No, I did not meet anyone I knew during my vacation. I am super excited to meet people I know. It makes me feel very happy that I know so many people that I bump into them wherever I go.

Trees are getting chopped due to rains and the fear of falling branches. The trees on the footpath on my way to the Yoga class grow back after every trimming they get. I feel bad seeing the chopped wood and leaves and the nests gone. But Nature takes care of itself, we just have to trust it. The lone Koel is heard occasionally. I often wonder what the Koel does when it is not Summer. Why doesn't it coo? Why can't I hear the Koel? Some afternoon as I walk to do my errands...I barely run to do my errands, I keep peering at the thick foliage to spot the Koel. She is not lost in the cacophony of crows. I also think there is only one Koel because I get to hear her once a day and not even two or three of them at the same time. 

House repair work is an art and not only a skill. Every time a carpenter or electrician or plumber comes home, I realise how I am not equipped to handle even the smallest of these things and I am grateful for the whole lot of them who make our daily living easy. Earlier, I was excited about Ikea opening  their store in India but now after visiting an Ikea store, I am apprehensive. I cannot comprehend how they expect us to fix things on our own. The simple designs are so complex in the brochure when it comes to fixing them. May be it is because we have never done it and always had people to do it. With Ikea coming in, the other story is that Marks & Spencer is shutting shop. That is a little heart breaking. I know when Bodyshop stopped a lipstick called Brickwood, I was so unhappy. For someone who had started working and applying lipstick, I knew that colour suited me. Now Mac Cosmetics has stopped my fave lipstick colour, Pander Me. 

The Baniya in our building passed away. He and his wife managed the Kirana stores which was very popular with the neighbourhood Chawl residents. Even I have bought groceries from him occasionally and the quality was better than the other 2 stores in our building. He gave the Kasarwadi residents 'udhaar'. The residents bought groceries and snacks for the whole month and paid him at the beginning of the next month. Their kids could go to buy snacks or chocolates/ sweets when their parents were away at work. His 'hisaab was always clear. In fact, at the cost of his sale, he would stop the children from eating too many sweets from his shop. He and his wife were gentle and efficient in their work. My house help is feeling bad because she has known them for 20 years and her kids never went without food because this shop gave udhaar. No the wife is planning to shut the grocery store forever. Our house help could make part payment to the grocer at the end of the month and carry over the balance amount without paying any interest.  We really do not need credit cards when we have such helpful people around us. I remember that in Jharia, Bai bought groceries from Virji Bhai and his son Natu Bhai and the the payment was made after a month. All this trust, love and oneness is non existent in the mall culture. 

My Mithai waala is Sweet Bengal. The taste of Dhanbad's Sandesh n Mishti doesn't leave the tongue. Sweet Bengal is the closest I can get here. The cashier knows my order every single time. Whenever I order Mishti Doi, he knows I will eat Kesar Sandesh. If I do not order it, then he reminds me to take it. Though the colour of the Sandesh has changed and become darker. The neighbouring Pani Puri waala's puris have become smaller. So many are reluctant to fill Masala in your Pani Puri properly. This is the young Gen which has no generosity and are into making quick money. The older Sev Puri waalas are happy to give you more 'aloo' per Puri or an extra Masala Puri. 


The other day for my walk on the beach, I told three young girls to come out of the water. They were washing their Crocs which had some mud on it. The waves were lashing. This thing about not liking dirt on the feet or shoes is so much amongst the city kids. Jharia was full of coal dust , our feet were always black and we still never wore slippers at home or while playing. Nowadays, little rain water n mud on the clothes n feet and I see people screeching. Why can't we be okay with different weathers and learn to enjoy it? Monsoons is a time to increase your sukhaa sabji like Papad, Vadi, Besan in different forms. Nowadays, food remains the same the whole year through. We just do not eat seasonal foods except mangoes, peach, cherries and strawberries. I love Jamun too. And we keep saying Mumbai has no seasons. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Shraddh period in Hinduism

Antakshari