Pause

I was walking in the rain. Some days, I walk because there is no cab in sight. Mahim by-lanes were all green and with newly paved footpaths. No water logging near the pavements or the drains. I was admiring the greenery and the lack of people on the roads. It was sheer bliss, the sound of incessant rain, no strong winds and the dark clouds hiding the afternoon sun. The cars were not splashing any water as the roads had no potholes. This was nature and BMC together at its best. I had had a lovely lunch with my child's school Mommies. The banter was more fun than the food. A friend dropped me across the Arabian sea. I mean we crossed the Mahim causeway from Bandra. I take the Mumbai sea for granted so many times. Then something makes me pause and start admiring its beauty. That moment of pause is when I am awestruck, one more time. Its glorious all the time as we all go about our daily chores but I don't even see it.

In a few moments, I realised I was not enjoying my walk in the rains, as I used to. My new footwear was getting soaked and I was scared it will loose its shape and comfort, the next time I wear it. The footwear brand is not available in India and I find them most easy to wear and walk. I noticed a tear in my dress which may be due to the hot iron by the Dhobi cum Istri waala ( the laundry guy). I was glad the print hid the tear on my almost new dress. Then I saw my steel and gold watch getting wet. I immediately removed it and slid it in the purse hoping the sapphire glass does not scratch with all the keys in my bag. I am sounding so materialistic or brand obsessed but this was all so real for me. I hardly ever wear heels and I treasure the comfortable flats I have as I don't get them often. I never knew I was such a fuss pot. Gone was the carefree girl who did not mind splashing in the rains.

At one point, I was the only one walking in a quiet lane. All of us were one... The fallen branches, the crushed orange flowers, the small Sev puri stall covered in plastic, the cabbie taking an afternoon nap with all windows rolled up, the abandoned hand cart, the maroon curtain flying out of a window which was forgotten to be shut, the empty coffins lying on the pavement outside the shop waiting for someone to die, the constant hum of the rains and the silence of the breeze. The pause has happened. Can you hear it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism