Hasee toh Phasee

Saw an elderly couple walking hand in hand in the evening. The roads were dug up. They were on the pavement walking with a smile. I could not figure out who was protecting whom from falling. Just the sense of togetherness brought tears to my eyes. In Hindi, I would have said ' aankhon mein nami chhaa gayi". Hindi is such a beautiful artistic language and has words for all our emotions and relations. I have become an 'angrez', as in we speak English all the time but I hate the fact that I do not express myself, the way I can in Hindi. By the way, Hindi is not my mother tongue. Hindi is our National Language. Born out of Sanskrit, like most Indian languages. Hindi has a musical tonality. The expressions are beautiful. In India, like the food , our language also changes every 100 kilometres. Its varied and rich in texture from the local language the people speak. People living in Maharshtra understand the difference in Marathi of a Mumbaikar, a Puneri and someone from the Konkan belt. This holds true for all our local languages.
The reason is with Valentine season around the corner, I am all mushy. I love looking at love shining in the eyes of people when they are with their loved ones. I am not for Archies Greeting cards but I am for the flowers and a velvet blue box. I am for strangers meeting and falling in love. I am for the commitment that the people having an arranged marriage show towards falling in love and making it work. I am for all those who are harassed and killed by the Khap Panchayat for falling in love with someone from another caste and community, even in today's India. I am for all those couples who are trying to make it work for the sake of their children.
Saw Hasee toh Phasee. I can't write about it because I happened to glance at the reviews on the net just now. This film left me with a feeling. A feeling that how integrated our nation is. How beautifully feelings are expressed without big tough words. How the director's vision translates through two wonderful actors and an amazing support cast. Vinil Mathew has made a gentle film with a not so easy story. His understanding of the Hindi language and that too today's spoken Hindi is worth praising. Anurag kashyap played a role in writing the dialogues and he managed to do this as well as Gangs of Wassipur. Karan Johar is choosing good scripts, directors and actors. I did not expect so much from him because I feel he only likes his kind of mushy films. Vinil Mathew and Shoojit Sarkar were both ad film makers. Both did a lot of work with O&M for their clients. Like their understanding of films and the Hindi language. They manage to do it without making it 'filmy'. Their cinema feels real without the 'arty/ critical acclaim' kind of tag.
The winter chill is back in the Mumbai air as Dubai had two days of sand storms. Romance is back too, in case you are interested.

Comments

  1. Parul... One from the heart, as always... And written so lucidly, as always too... Keep writing and sharing bandhu... Waaah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks fr sending me to watch d film...luved both d actors ..
    Thnxx lyv ya ben..
    Malli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism