My lost iPhone

I had been on a holiday. I lost my phone in the desert. Not just any phone but my iPhone. I had been so crazy to own an iPhone. Whenever He asked me to buy, I said it was too expensive. Finally he gifted it to me one Diwali. I was happy but the cost was staggering. My Jharia upbringing does not allow me to splurge on myself or anyone for that matter. I cannot walk into a mall and come out with bags full of stuff for myself. My shopping is a self rationed out phenomena. I manage to lose one phone every two years. I use a cell phone for one year maximum before it gets slow. Now this is splurging according to me too. But the iPhone was a much desired and waited for phone. I waited for a month after getting it, to start using it. It was the ultimate gadget for me. I did not use half the features it had. iTunes was complex and I did not want to pay for every song I downloaded. I did not use it for any features it charged me for. No one ever had an iPhone charger in their house, so I was always carrying mine with me. He got me a hard metallic cover for it as I have a knack of dropping my phone, every time I get out of the cab, car or a chair. I feel so clumsy losing my iPhone. I  create a major ruckus if children lose even a paper from school. I am always projecting what a value imbedded Mommy they have got. I had no face to show.

 This was not about a loss of contacts but the loss of all my pictures. I kept following up with the people at the Desert Safari camp as I knew exactly where I had left it. I had heard that Dubai is crime free and even if you leave your bag in a mall, you will get it back. Well, I am not lucky with lost goods. Have yet to get any of the gold and diamond jewellery back which I have lost over the years. I kept a brave face and enjoyed my vacation. I did not want to crib and complain and feel guilty and make the family miserable. Came back and quietly bought a new sim card and started using my old Blackberry. By now, BB was no more an aspirational phone. I had lost my last one at the Shivaji Park Swimming pool, where it was flicked from the locker. Nothing happened after a police complaint also.

Like every dark cloud has a silver lining, I realised I can live without my phone. I did not become clinically depressed after loosing it. Could it be that I knew I can buy another one as soon as I want? I did not get withdrawal symptoms on being off whatsapp. I did miss out on a few celebrations and deaths but that is about it. So called friends did not miss me either. Most assumed I was yet to come back from Dubai. Extending a foreign holiday, where every penny counts, is sure aspirational. The close ones did call to check on my well being. The non tech savvy ones wondered why I was not replying to their whatsapp messages. Some saw my whatsapp contact which said "Last  seen on 27th December" but could not figure out why. More than my Dubai Travails, this became the point of discussion. Mom truly felt bad as she thought her son-in-law could have bought some gold with it instead of an iPhone.
I have been with a simple phone on SMS and calls for twenty days now. I have survived. The quest for a new phone has begun in earnest. All possible people are being consulted regarding which one to buy. I have gone a step further and am asking college kids and strangers, their phone usage pattern and the battery life. I am not any more knowledgable than what I started with. Each one feels their phone is the best. I am confused about the phone and the amount to spend on it. Advice like "Now you shall be more careful" is coming from all corners of the world. Most were shocked that I did not buy a new one from Dubai. My only small victory is that I have been okay without the constant whatsapp chatter of various groups. There is a peace there. The cacophony was like what Arnab creates every night on the news channels. I had to participate in every conversation. I had to give my two bit on every world affair and every pic put up by friends. I am quieter and calmer. Not sure if that makes me a better person. Not sure if that makes me 100% with people when I am with them.
Wanted to share about my lovely holiday but look what I have done. The iPhone has gone like the year gone by. I can go on feeling all about it but I have to live my today.

Here is to a Great New Year full of Love and Cheer to all of you.

Comments

  1. Agree with mom ;) You could have pulled a bar from the ATM. LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism