Dubai Diaries 3

At Dubai Mall, there is a lot of sunlight used. Saw that at the Mall of Emirates and Wafi Mall too. In Dubai Mall, the sun roof in certain sections opens to the skies in the winters to let the cool breeze in. There is something called a village street, which is the open air section of the mall with clothes drying out and quaint little cafes by the side walk. You may miss it if you are too engrossed with your shopping.

What is happening with the retail sector in India vis a vis Dubai? Am sharing some of my experiences.

At Marks n Spencer, Mumbai:  I went to buy lingerie. Asked for my size in the colour and stuff I wanted. The lady assistant asked me my alternative size. I was stunned. She said everyone has two sizes for undergarments. This is how they train their sales staff in India: Sell at all costs as the customers are dumb.
I did not have a choice so I returned a few days later. First time I saw a male assistant at their Lingerie section. I asked for the same stuff. He smiled and said it was not available. I asked for some more and all of it in my size was not available. But this time round, I did not feel cheated.

At Lifestyle: The sales assistant was helpful and did not have my size. She requested me to try another size. Pantaloons also similar experience. Take another size.

Most of the times, these stores open shop and do not have sizes available for a long long time. Or may be they have the most selling sizes available.

Debenhams, Mumbai: The stuff was atrocious when compared to the Dubai store. Here they had some hideously coloured bags and clothes. The stock was not just last season but many moons old.
Next, Aldo, Charles n Keith etc also did not have the same stock as in Dubai. Indian sales are good but our market is not treated well.


So many brands are palming off such crappy stuff in India. I feel, we as customers, are really short changed. People say 'Now everything is available in India and we do not need to buy foreign goods on our holidays abroad". I think this is completely untrue. The fabric, the styles, the colours and the designs of everything available abroad is better and the choice is vast. In India, some vague strategy these companies have to send their worst unused and really old stock. No wonder Indians are the biggest shoppers abroad. If I have the money and I want good quality, then I would rather pay abroad then shell out more money here.

Compared to Dubai, foreign brands are more expensive in India and I am comparing the sale prices in Mumbai and Dubai. We in India get a raw deal from Unilever, Proctor n Gamble and many such giant multinationals. Try a Loreal shampoo, Dove soap , Lux soap, Johnson Baby oil or even a Nivea from abroad and the quality difference is stark. No wonder we all buy here from the grey market. The grey market sells old stock at whatever prices they feel like. For Example, if the Moroccon Argan oil is the next 'in' thing, then the price of it goes up in the grey market.

Not to forget the lovely clothes which we buy in India  made by Indian companies and Indian designers. Almost Everything runs colour. If you sweat, the blouse will stain and loose colour or add that colour to your saree, thereby ruining it. The tag says "Dry Clean Only" and I wonder which Dry Cleaner in India really dry cleans stuff. All dressy Indian garments run colour. I'd rather wear the t shirts produced in the sweat shops of Sri Lanka or Phillipines, made by the foreign brands, at least I can wash it in the washing machine. I do not have to waste money on the Dry Cleaners.

So have 'no shopping holidays' like I do and repent later:) But your holiday will be worth it because you will have more time on hand and you will not be converting currency on every purchase you make. I went a step further in my urge to make my holiday a completely hassle free  one and cut off from the world, I lost my iPhone. If you have the time and the money, do go on a shopping holiday to Dubai. It is worth every penny and more that you will spend.








Comments

  1. At least global India gave you presence of malls to compare. Baby steps but the breands are there to stay in India. Good going! Keep you expectations high ... lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ritz. Since I have seen , now I compare and want more. But we getting a raw deal from the MNC brands is a given. Keep your feedback coming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism