Callous

I am unable to write about harsh realities of life. I cringe to write about all the atrocities on women. I am uncomfortable reading about it. I also feel anything I write will sound preachy or judgemental. Judgements start from the time I wake up. I judge myself if I wake up quick with the alarm clock then I am happy with myself. The day I want to laze in bed, I blame myself for not being punctual or I blame the dinner I attended the previous night and so on. With Tarun Tejpal episode, it is like one more of my idol/ ideal broken. When 'Tehelka' started doing their first explosive expose, I though this was a team of amazing people. I held on to my beliefs though his partner and him parted ways, other corruption issues were coming against them and his political connections. Now the fairy tale gets shattered one final time.

I try to remember my years of working and can not think of a single time experiencing any kind of assault verbal or physical. In fact, safety was a norm those days and now I should say we were the privileged few. The five star hotel business involved wining and dining and I have not seen a single drunk colleague or senior at work or outside. I am suddenly feeling so thankful of all the men I interacted with at work. Whether it was the hoteliers or the corporate clients, all were gems. I remember cribbing about the lady assistants who were tough and would not let us meet their bosses without appointments. Now I look back and realise that they were just doing their jobs. We never heard of any drunken sexual banter even amongst all those tales which the women colleagues carried. I am sure my friends who worked with me will agree to this. Hotel industry was put in the 'fast' category by our family elders and yet not one sordid tale I have to share with you. Was I like Alice in Wonderland? Were the work ethics stronger? Were the men calmer? Were the work pressures less? These things did not happen or were they never heard of?

I strongly believe in the goodness of mankind. I do not think every man behaves like an animal on seeing a woman. The world is full of good men and we need to keep increasing their ratio. The women need to stop worshipping their men. I see city bred educated women acting as if they are scared of their spouses. They share stories about how the man of the house won't pick a glass of water or throw the garbage in the bin. Some of these women feel really wanted and cherished that their husbands are helpless without them. These women put their husbands on a pedestal. The male being aggressive and dominating in the marital household, is all so out of the romantic novels. If one believes these books, a normal man will never find a spouse. He has to be the predator and catch the mate, is what gives joy to some women. Hope you women, who like this kind of men, do not raise sons who have no control over their libido. A mother might raise her son very well but what the child grows up to be eventually cannot be blamed on the parents.

I am shocked at Shoma's behaviour in shielding Tejpal. Were they sleeping partners or is it for money? Friends, they surely are not or should one say 'Birds of a feather flock together'? Wonder what kind of an 'uneasy' relationship they share? This kind of callousness is disgusting.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism