A visit to the Doctor

Our family Doctor is this sweet old gentleman with a quirky sense of humour. Waiting for him at the clinic is an experience in itself. There is no appointment system. People just come and sit on the benches provided. You observe who all are there and do not let anyone who walks in after you, visit the Doc before you. An old lady walked in wearing a red skirt and a floral top. There was bright  orange neon colour on her toe nails.With complete fondness, She told me that her grandchild who is twenty one had put it for her. Her daughter had accompanied her and wanted to know about my stiff neck. The lady advised me not to waste money on a doctor. I should rest and take hot water fermentation and I shall be fine. She further added that today's phone generation is getting the neck problem and I felt guilty as charged. She mentioned that she lives abroad and does not want to get on to Whatsapp and Facebook with all her people in India. She said she is never going to need all that. People or information? I almost asked her aloud.
There was another young mother with her child. The child was playing games on the mother's Samsung S3 phone. She said her five year old complains of neck pain and head ache but does not listen. The child dropped the phone twice and could not be bothered. An old couple walked in. They were very excited that I had given them the front bench to sit. The husband had forgotten his umbrella at the entrance and the wife insisted that he get the umbrella near the first bench or else he shall forget. The old man did not have the energy to walk back to the entrance. I picked up the umbrella and kept it near their new seat.

The Doc said he had been to Dharwad for Diwali to meet his Mom. I was surprised that his mother was still alive. All his siblings live there. His sisters are teachers and his brother is a doctor. He wanted to move back to Dharward but did not move as his wife does not speak Kannadiga. His wife would never be able to adjust there as she has all her friends in Mumbai. I could see his eyes light up when he explained how Hubli and Dharwad are twin 'cities' and there is an  excellent bus service between the two towns. His fondness for his home town was so visible. He had not been able to get it out of his system.I could relate to it because for me home is still 'Dhanbad'. Then he checked the back of my neck and shoulders. He pressed some points on the shoulder and I was yelping Ouch Ouch with pain. Doc says "No Ouch and no 'couch' here."  He put some  infra red heat vibrator all over my shoulders and upper back to relax the muscles.He gave some Barbie pink tablets to eat thrice a day after meals. I came out and all those women were grinning ear to ear. They had heard the Doc say "No ouch and No couch here". I could not even put my head down with embarrassment, as the neck was still hurting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism