Mea Culpa

I come back from my vacation to stripped trees in the building compound. A branch fell on an old lady's car and she ensured that all tree branches in the building were chopped off.

I come back to a friend's husband hitting her in front of their ten year old child. She managed to run out of the one room chawl just when he was about to hit her with a cricket bat. She lamented on the phone. She talked about how they never went on a honeymoon, how she had to sleep in the kitchen every night, she had to wear sarees only all the time and more.The girl is younger to me. Her in laws n husband have been living in Mumbai and are well to do.

The temple is painted and glass walls have been put in front of all idols. No more offerings of grains, sweets n jaggery to idols along with flowers. Its cleaner for sure. Kills the spirit of the rituals though.
Some more trees chopped off to make way for people to sit outside the Shivaji Park temple. If people don't visit, how will the temples make money? In Mumbai,'People First' philosophy may not be applicable in corporates but in temples they apply.

The cab driver pulled up by traffic constable for changing lanes as I changed my road to the destination. He said he paid a bribe and now wants me to give him the bribe amount. The traffic constable Mr. Rane looked such an honest man. I was feeling bad for the cab driver that his licence will be confiscated. The cabbie a calm helpless man showed his true colours just when I was about to get off. I had given him a hundred rupee note and he did not return the balance forty Rupees. Supposedly my contribution to the bribe he paid. Moral of the story: Get off from a cab in your building compound as the watchmen and drivers are there to look after you.

Its the fond memories of the warmth of the family and friends, I spent my vacation with, which is keeping me sane. I am helpless when it comes to protecting environment, women or standing against corruption. Makes me a party to it, if I am not against it. In my thoughts, I am against corruption and violence against women but in my actions, I fail. I share my failures and am stingy about sharing my joys. Mea Culpa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism