Yes, No, Maybe.

Hav been wanting to tell you about him for a long time. It also means he is on my mind for long. We met through colleagues. As soon as we left from office after tea, we would stop and eat our second breakfast for the day. On one such pre noon snack, my colleague cum friend introduced me to him and his colleague. We all had our dosa and paid for it, talked and laughed and headed to our respective meetings. He had this rotund frame, curly hair, innocent baby face which one can use in ads and he was brown. He came from an MBA college in Chennai. I think it was still Madras at that time. All of them used to get into Citibank from there as that was the step to move to New York or Hongkong which was all students dream at that time, the MBAs with finance variety. The foreign banks used to give them the best Chummeries. Never knew a word like this till I started working. It meant an apartment where two or more colleagues were put up together. In case of our hotels, there were 4-6 to a flat in twin sharing rooms. Whereas the multinationals gave a lavishly furnished house with a man friday who did all the housework. Pali Hill had certain buildings which were earmarked by these MNCs. Chummeries also meant, the residents were usually single and available. They all had fancy cars given by their comapnies to match the fancy apartments. Don't know why I am sharing the way we felt like 'Have nots' when we were working.
 We kept meeting with colleagues at the Dosa wala between our office buildings for a quick cutting chai during work hours. One saturday afternoon as I was idling my time away, he called to say he had some work and could we meet. He specified he had a colleague along. We met and did the errand that was to be done. Then it was time for the colleague to have other plans. We dropped him to VT station and walked around VT and Metro, aimlessly. I shudder to think that was the stretch where the terrorists attacked and the brave policemen were killed. I didnt know if he was in a relationship or married. I asked him something to that extent jokingly, though I knew the answer. I always did not want to be out with a man who was in a relationship with another girl. Even if it was platonic, I was never at ease. He mentioned how his wife liked the same things as me ie walking around Mumbai aimlessly. I was surprised and taken aback. He said he was joking and I heaved a sigh of relief. He said dinner was ready at home and he will drop me back. He mentioned the house n the man friday. I went along with the plans.

The house was huge and beautiful. I was awestruck. He said its not his and is no big deal as its given by the company. The table was laid immaculately. Every thing was kept in perfection with an eye to detail. It looked like a woman's touch to me. He again mentioned the wife who liked things in this way.I was distinctly uncomfortable. Any further probing would be intrusive. The Man friday was sweet and I felt safe. During the delicious hot meal, He talked about his seperation and the impending divorce. He still loved her but she was clear on moving out and away from him. The yummy food for the hostelite, tasted like sawdust. I did not want to show the sympathy I felt as that may not land well. Maybe he just needed a sounding board and a neutral one. I wasnt feeling objective but I kept my opinions to myself. I could visualise the scheming bitch who married him to forward her life and left him after the purpose was achieved. He kept on talking fondly and I kept on feeling bad for him. My eyes were wet with unshed tears.Then it was time to go home. On the drive back, he said it was all a joke and laughed his way back. He just couldn't believe that me a city girl living on my own could be so gullible and fall for his story. He laughed till he had tears in his eyes and for once I was at a loss of words for a smart alec reply.
Did I believe him? Yes.
Did I like his humour? No.
Did he like me? Maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism