Travel and my fears

I love traveling but I do not like the baggage which comes along. I have been a bad packer always. the worst packing I did was on my honeymoon. We went to Langkawi and Negombo. I packed for all weathers and all occasions. I am just happy the husband did not utter a word. Then I shopped like a maniac at Odel in Sri Lanka. I feel so stupid now about doing that. I was this typical Indian honeymooning bride who got her first chance to shop with the husband s money. Even packing of that shopping gave me stress. So now I have learnt not to shop and to pack less then what I think I will need. Even that is more.
So I can scream hoarse about how I like traveling and seeing new places, I detest packing. Packing makes me loose the entire fun of travel. The suitcase comes out a week before the date of departure. I start putting in stuff which i remember. Then I look at the wardrobe and think I will need all of this. So this goes on till the night before. Then I have to do the same for the children.A friend has taught me to take old clothes on trips and leave them or donate them there. We all follow that strictly. Its much better now as we come back with lighter bags. I try to shop as little. The things which look good on me on a vacation, do not suit me in Mumbai. I stick to souvenir shopping. I am amazed at friends who leave to go on a trip so easily. That is also the reason why I do not plan a trip. I just sit and crib that no body takes me on a holiday. Once the dates and destination are fixed, I plan the hotels , rates, sightseeing and hubby takes care of the transport side of it.

This still doesn't stop me from being jealous about all my jet set flier friends. Please give me your energy, organization skills and peace to pack fast and travel well. And then those friends n family who come from the far off nations once every two years, I wonder how they manage to pack. I have actually searched the internet to pack well kind of sites. Yes, they do have it for people like me. I can not even handle long drives. For me, there is no romance in burning fuel and driving endlessly in Mumbai or its outskirts. I have friends who are zipping on the highway and decide to make it a weekend trip. I am not one of them but I don't know if I am glad about it.
Another thing I cant imagine is traveling without our children. They have always been a [part of all our trips and I cant go on a holiday without them. I know people who find it difficult to travel with their own children. These are the ones who also find it difficult to take their child out for dinner to a restaurant. They d rather feed the child in front of the television before they step out for a meal.

Idle musings, when on Christmas eve , our children have been invited to a kiddies party and we are at home. Merry Christmas!

What kind of a traveler are you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism