Materialism

My Granny always said Living for yourself is no fun, you have to live for others. No, I am being diplomatic here. Let me tell you her exact words: A dog can also raise his family, what's the big deal about it? It is only if you do something for others, you enjoy. So far I kept saying, I am writing the blog for myself and it is therapeutic for me. Its just lately that I feel it is so much more fun when I write for you. When I share it with you, my joy increases.

I am not a shopper. I cannot window shop and I cannot shop if I don't want something. I don't fall in love with anything that I have to buy. Maybe, love at first sight is not what happens to me. Something has to grow on me for me to like it. Slowly and surely. I will never be in the trendiest clothes as I cant conect so fast. But I enjoy shopping for others. I like shopping for gifts. I like buying things which I feel my friends can use.

In Dhanbad where I was growing up, there was no concept of gifting to anyone. One gave money if there was a wedding or a function. If we visited someone, we did not carry gifts. I experienced this in Mumbai. I realized I loved receiving gifts till I became discerning. Or should I say judgmental about the gifts and the feelings with the gifts. I am very content in this mad shopaholic world. Retail therapy doesnt work for me. I am amazed when my friends enjoy their shopping, try out their new spoils and are waiting to wear it. I am so complacent when it comes to wearing new things.

Another thing which I cant do is chill in a Spa. I remember the husband gifting me a full day at the Spa for my birthday and me not accepting it. I thought that the five star charged too much for the spa. I would feel alone there the full day like a patient. I will be so keyed up with all strangers that there is no way I shall relax.
Plus all those therapists with five star attitude asking me to strip and pawing me is not my idea of relaxing. After that He has stopped giving me exotic birthday gifts. We stick to the basics like diamonds. Long lasting joys and something to show to my Mom. Spa may not guarantee a calm Parul or a beautiful me.

My Mom is a very simple lady.If she sees diamonds on me, she feels I am happy and well taken care of. Then, she feels good about my choice of the husband though he is not from our Ghetto. I am trying to follow my Mom s way of 'Simple living and High thinking.'
Materialism is not me. Ghetto mentality is there,properly hidden.

Comments

  1. dear Ben

    Wow...!am a lil different fm u here, i enjoy shopping..:)
    n TRUE...How can one relax n a spa...all stripped between Strangers?
    i was also offered this bday gift which i didnt accept...:)
    Thanks...lovely
    love
    Malli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Malli, all of us are different and yet so similar. Thats what makes the world so interesting.
    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love window shopping and like spa...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So unlike what I think of you, GR :) This tough hunter wielding man who has no time or patience for malls or spas:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism