Envy

I went to drop the child to a birthday party of her best friend. It was at four pm on a sunday.... my peak siesta time. She was jumping from three pm all ready to go. With great reluctance I pulled my tracks and took a cab to drop her. The music was jarring for seven year olds party. I walked in and was struck by the mother s beauty. She was like a diva standing in a black gown with a plunging neckline and an animal print stole around her arms. Straight long hair freshly blowdried and set to perfection, so was the make up. God, these kind of women really rankle me.I feel very dowdy in front of them. My messed up hair tied in a bun and mismatched clothes and home footwear.Hey, I cant even walk in heels.

I always slot them in a bitchy variety moms, who have maids and mother in laws to raise their kids so they can go to the gym and the parlour and the kitty parties.I also try to justify myself about how I look after the house and the husband and cook fresh meals for my family. No junk food and all that blah blah. In actuality, I envy these well groomed mothers who have a life of their own too. Guess what,She even made me feel welcome and asked me to keep the younger one back for the party. Not only that, she went a step further and apologised for not inviting the younger one as she did not know Devika had a sibling. She then went to give the child gifts and chocolates. The child was equally sleepy and rejected so refused to accept the friendly overtures. She was actually nice so I decided she must be married to a rich fat businessman variety man who would not have time to even look at his wife. Well I was in for a shock when I went to fetch my child. He was like a Siyaram model , all manly flat abdomen broad shoulders casually dressed in a old t shirt and jeans. The new raymonds' models are all those Goras corpo slimy sugary types. The earlier Siyaram models were all Indian. He even came till the cab to drop Devika opened the door for her and also asked her if she had a good time at the party. This was like the icing on the cake. All my notions about these rich good looking people had fallen flat. I was shattered and did not know how to react.

Then I go to the open day to school and it is a bigger shocker. All mothers are in smart day dresses, footwear matching, beads in place and the sunglasses perched up on the well highlighted hair. Twice in a week this kind of a feeling is not good for the heart. I am still seething with jealousy, envy and a few other indescribable feelings. May be green is the colour of the season.
Happy Holi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism