Lakshmi and Masi

Our live in help Lakshmi is an old lady. We don't know her exact age. She has grandchildren and has been working with us for many years. First 10-15 years at my parents and now with me since the last six years. She took care of my Grandmother who was bed ridden in the last few years of her life. Lakshmi has worked in hospitals in Dhanbad before that for 30-35 years. Now I am unable to do the Math as I really do not think she is that old. She is fit and has more energy than me. She is meticulous and very intelligent. She knows old songs. Has spent her growing up years in Howrah. Says during the war, they used to dig small pits and hide their small children in that for protection during bombing. Super memory and remembers all the 'hisaab' of the money I give her to buy miscellaneous items at home. She is my most intelligent house help and my mate. I talk to her the most and she pampers me the most. She has lost her husband and a son. She takes care of the entire family of one son, two daughter in law and grand children.Sometimes she tells me about her Masi, her Mother's sister. Her Chachi is also alive. She talks very fondly of her relatives whom she grew up with. She remembers all my friends and relatives. She is always telling me to carry food and give gifts to them. She remembers what I have to give and hands it over when I am leaving home. She is love and generosity personified.

My cook is a 66 year old lady who has a huge family. Because she lives in Shivaji Park in Mumbai, all the Gujarat relatives like to come and stay with her. Kusum Masi lives with her daughter who is single. Her two sons are married and live on their own in the suburbs. I know everything about her daughter in law and grand children. Masi loves visiting her relatives her elder brothers and her aunts. She talks about her Kaki, Mama and all who invite her fondly for all festivals and celebrations. The son comes to help her whenever she has an ache or pain. The son takes her to Mahableshwar for a long weekend during New Year with his wife's parents. She goes to Ahmedabad for weddings.  She goes on long pilgrimages with her relatives and friends. She is the typical Mumbai gal..not scared of anything and reaches everywhere on time, no matter what. She loves cooking at our home when I have guests over. She is most excited to plan the menu and keeps suggesting new things to make for guests and us. Most Mumbai cooks, the local Marathi ones. are upset if they have to make more chapattis one day. In fact, they ask how many 'chapattis' we need to make and I never keep them for my work. I feel cooking is something which is fluid. One day we may make two vegetables and dal for a meal and another day would be just a Khichdi. It really depends on the mood of the family and what is in the fridge and how is the weather. 

These two ladies are demonstration of strength and fitness. They are never in a bad mood. They always do their work well and in time. Their health never comes in the way of their participation in life. They work hard but they completely enjoy what they do. Work is never a burden for them. They both eat less and do not munch between meals. They wake up early too. It is the life of leisure which kills, not daily work. They inspire me and  make me realise that age is just a number, a person can live well and be fit at any age. Both do not have any old talks and are not rigid in their approach to life. I am blessed to have them at home with us. Our children are learning to love and respect elders. They are not growing up in the fear that old age is equal to sickness. And seeing them I know I can grow old and be healthy without being a burden on anyone. I am so grateful to them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism