Music in our lives

The swimming pool has repaired their brand new music system.  Brand new is a very Indian way of saying it is New.Today while I was swimming, I heard a song from Premrog called Ab Hum toh ho gaye Pardesi, Ke tera yahan koi nahin. Awwww, that was so depressing. Actually all these funny songs of the eighties, I get irritated with. No joy in them for me. I shudder to think how it will be to swim to Dum Dum Digha digha, Oh mere sona re, Kranti. Sorry, these are songs which people born in late sixties or early seventies would have heard blaring on loudspeaker in their towns. The swim  coach said if we do not use the speakers, they will get spoilt.

I heard a shloka going on at a Ganpati Pandal. I started singing along and was later surprised how I knew it so well.  Shani Mantra was my cousin's mobile ring tone for years. He passed away this year and the Shani Mantra still remains. All reminders which shake our equilibrium. Music has such a strong association with our lives. So when I hear Garba, I think of raas. When I hear Hanuman chalisa, its the Hanuman temple near our new house and my cousin's when they bought their first ever record player. Some music makes us smile and some gives us goose bumps. Aey Mere Watan ke Logon, the patriotic song by Lata Mangeshkar, brings a choked throat for me. Today is the nightingale's birthday and I belive radio channels are playing all her songs. When I attend music soirees at our friends place, I am very happy. Though I am not even in the category of a bad singer,had  I love listenening to people. All my close friends have good singing voices. When it comes to singing, even my grammar gives away. I just know I could sing lullabies to our children and that's always a treasured moment with your children. I liked singing the school book hymns and songs. They were happy moments.

Which song makes you smile?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Shraddh period in Hinduism

Antakshari