Unfair Mom

We in India are all obsessed with our skin colour. When I had been to pay the swimming fees, There was a mother daughter in the line. The daughter was a good tennis player. Mom made her stop playing in summers as she had become very dark. She told me that she doesn't mind the child playing in the rains. Her son was in some IPL team but she was concerned about her daughter becoming dark. Daughter was a school going kid of 12.

The other day at the swimming pool, I met a girl. She said she has comes for the first time in years. We were changing and she saw my tan. She told me she wont come to swim as she is getting married in four months time and she cannot afford to look dark. This was a rich, educated girl with an I phone 4S. The reason to write this is that irrespective of the social strata they belong to, people in India are thinking the same about skin colour. I told her I used to swim regularly before I got married and nothing happens. She just gave me a little disgusted look. It said like 'You old woman, What do you know about how one should look at their own wedding.'

Dark is not good. Fair people can wear all colours. My younger one calls her elder one chocolate brown and she hates it. I don't know where these conversations seep into the child s mind. The elder one is at a stage that whatever the tv says is hundred percent correct. She comes up with all these answers for my problems..new stain remover, some hot oil treatment for 20 min, some sanitary ware, bulbs, cars and what not. Today , she has told me that since I get very angry, I need to fill my mouth with water and hold it as long as I can. By the time the water has gone down my throat, I will be calm. Not a bad idea from a child less than a decade old. Time to try it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nange Paon in Navratri

Antakshari

Shraddh period in Hinduism